ESO team and readers. Please see the below message from our President.
I was contacted this afternoon with a request to help and spread the word about an influx of asylum seekers coming to Albuquerque from El Paso and Las Cruces after being released from the asylum processing centers.
Please consider that many of our ancestors came to this country as asylum seekers and refugees.
Please spread the word to your contacts. Feel free to share this message.
Agency Leaders: please consider having someone coordinate donations at your facility and deliver to Parish hall of Therese Catholic Church 300 Mildred Ave NW
ICE facilities are releasing aprox. 500 asylum seekers per day into the US without money, means of communication, or any instructions or assistance. They are starting their travel to their family across the country but need housing, food, and personal care for a few days to bridge the gap. As you already know the facilities and partners in the south are overwhelmed. Albuquerque resources will be overwhelmed quickly as well. 300 asylum seekers will arrive in Albuquerque at 4pm today.
How to Help:
- Please share this as widely as possible. Consider organizing a donation box at your agency, church, or group. I am happy to come to pickup from you in the late afternoons if you cannot get to the Parish Hall of Therese Catholic Church 300 Mildred Avenue NW.
- As soon as at 4 PM today they are in need of Spanish, and Portuguese speakers/ interpreters to help process the arriving asylum seekers at ABQ area hotels. They have all hours available and will be needed this week. Contact: Mariela Ruiz-Angel and by email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please give your first and last name, email, phone, and languages spoken when contacting her.
- Monetary donations are requested to help support the hotel payments and housing needs of the local organizations supporting them. Annunciation House is taking donations and can be found online: annunciationhouse.org
- Care items are needed for 150 families with small children at the Parish Hall of Therese Catholic Church 300 Mildred Avenue NW.
- Diapers in all sizes
- Men’s, women’s, and children’s underwear and socks
- Toothpaste and tooth brushes
- Small children toys
- Feminine hygiene products
5. Meals are desperately needed for the refugees. Contact us to get in touch with the person coordinating food. Here are the estimates for meals needed this week:
a. 300 meals on 3/10
b. 900 meals on 3/11
c. 720 meals on 3/12
d. 540 meals on 3/13
e. 360 meals on 3/14
f. 180 meals on 3/15
Thank you for helping these refugees.
President, Emergency Services Outreach, Inc.
Vice-chair, NM CHW Certification Board
Add me on Social media: @shaaverson